How Can I File My 2012 Taxes Online for Free?

File a free tax return on RapidTax!

You can still file your 2012 return with RapidTax

Maybe you’re new to preparing your tax return online and you’re looking for a company you can trust to handle your return. Maybe you’re an e-file veteran who’s grown dissatisfied with some of our larger competitors. Either way, RapidTax is the best option for filing your taxes.

Why RapidTax

Preparing your return online might sound intimidating, especially if you’re left to navigate the complex tax code all by yourself. Thankfully at RapidTax you can get free live help from a tax expert via phone, live chat, or email while you prepare your return.

The RapidTax application is guaranteed to take advantage of every possible credit and deduction to get you your maximum refund, often bigger than those found by our competitors. And RapidTax’s services are cheaper than them to boot. Many people find they can file their returns for free!

Here’s what our customers had to say about it:

I am a new customer because TurboTax wanted to charge me $30 for what you just did for free. Thanks, RapidTax!
– Nancy from Vancouver, WA.

Have used for the past five years and will keep using. I have turned my family members over from H&R Block and TurboTax. It’s fast, easy, and most of all more money.
– James from Murrieta, CA.

The tax service was very fast and I got back a lot of cash!!!! Show me another tax service that fast. H&R Block is not that quick. Give me the loop!!
– Stacy from Dallas, TX.

When can I file my 2012 taxes online?

The IRS starts accepting e-filed returns on January 30, 2013. But if you really want to get a jump on your taxes, you can prepare your return on RapidTax for up to a week before e-file opens. We’ll keep your completed return on file and send it to the IRS as soon as their e-file system opens. That way you can be sure to get your refund as fast as possible.

In order to prepare your return you have to wait until you receive all the necessary documents, especially W-2s and 1099s. Employers are required to have those forms to you by January 31. So you might not be able to file right at the start of e-file.

Also, just as an insider’s tip, both tax preparation companies and the IRS tend to be really busy during the months of January and April. If you try to file during one of these peak times you may experience delays. If you don’t absolutely need your refund as soon as possible, it might make sense to file during the months of February and March.

You’ve missed the deadline…should you be worried?

Things come up and suddenly you’re trying to juggle everything all at once. It’s understandable that certain things get put to the back burner. These things tend to be tasks we’d rather not complete. For most of us, filing taxes falls into that category. Let’s consider a few reasons why you should file your 2012 taxes.

  1. You can still claim your 2012 tax refund until April 15th, 2016. It’s true, you missed the filing deadline but the IRS allows three years from that date for you to claim your refund.
  2. Penalty fees and interest will continue to grow. Unfortunately, if you owe for 2012, there is no three year threshold. The IRS wants their money and aren’t really willing to give a free pass.
  3. The IRS can withhold current year refunds for prior year unpaid tax due. They may forgive you for not paying on time, but they won’t forget as easily. Don’t be surprised if your tax debt seems to follow you around for years to come if you keep avoiding it.

Filing taxes can seem like a hassle. Let Rapidtax take the weight off your shoulders by helping you every step of the way.

File Your Taxes Today

Photo via Marcel Hauri on Flickr.

Other Posts You May Enjoy


This entry was posted on at 1:21 pm and is filed under Tax Tips.

34 Responses to “How Can I File My 2012 Taxes Online for Free?”

  1. Joseph Byrne says:

    I’m a 67y/o male. Retired. My wife 27y/o female she doesn’t work or have any income
    I receive $14400.00 social security income and app $4500.00 interest income
    Best free way to file my 2012 taxes?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Joseph,

      Unfortunately, due to your Social Security income, you will not be able to file a free return with RapidTax. You can take a look at our pricing packages here:

      Although it’s impossible to determine for sure until you actually prepare your return, I would guess that it would cost you $29.99 to do your 2012 return here with RapidTax.

      If you really want to do your return for free, you will have to go to another company. I’m not entirely sure of their pricing requirements, but I would begin your search with TurboTax or FreeTaxUSA.

      Good luck!

  2. misty metzinger says:

    hi i was wondering will it cost me to file my taxes or would i be able to file it for free i think i made no more than 36,000.00 a year and i’m a single mother of three children and i’m also in the army national guard.

  3. Judy Eckhart says:

    When will the IRS start accepting returns ? I have read your date of 1/22 was wondering if that is still correct because of the Fiscal Cliff?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Judy,

      As far as I know that is still correct, though it’s still not official from the IRS. The fiscal cliff situation was resolved as the IRS was assuming it would be, so they don’t have to go through and reprogram everything.

  4. Kari says:

    The new filing date is January 31st. I have e-mail that comes directly from the IRS that updates all dates and new forms. They have to update forms therefore it have been pushed back.

  5. Stacy maw says:

    I read on the IRS website u can’t do e fie or paper return until jan this correct r is it jan 22nd

  6. Sameeka S says:

    So if i filed my taxes 1/22 i should get them back in 8 days?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Sameeka,

      Actually the IRS has pushed back the start of e-file to January 30. And this year they are saying that most e-filers will get their refund in “fewer than 21 days.” So I think it’s very unlikely that you will get yours in 8 days.

  7. Andrew M says:

    since I can’t e-file until the 30th, am i still able to go to like H&R block or like a local tax adviser before then and file? ( I’m using rapidtax I am just wondering)

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Andrew,

      I’m pretty sure most tax preparation companies/services will let you prepare your 2012 return now, but that can’t technically “file” it. They’ll hold on to it and then file it on January 30. I know you can do your taxes at H&R right now. And any local tax adviser that’s on the ball would probably let you do so as well.

  8. awanya says:

    if I file my taxes on line on 1/22 my taxes actually wont be sent to irs for
    processing until january 30 is that correct.

  9. Elizabeth says:

    I’m getting social security disability can i file taxes with that..i also received a annual tax and interest statement on my house can i file that..

  10. Luisanna Valerio says:

    I’m 20 and I don’t attend college at the moment, but I was wondering my aunt isn’t filling her taxes this year and she has a 5year old , and she asked me to file with him as my dependent , is this possible ?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Luisanna,

      In order to claim someone as a qualifying child, they must be your biological or adopted child, stepchild, foster child, sibling, half sibling, stepsibling or a descendant of one of these. Unfortunately, a cousin does not qualify.

      It’s possible that you would be able to claim your cousin as a qualifying relative, but he would have had to lived with you as a member of your household and you would have had to provide more than half of his total support.

      My guess would be that you can’t claim him. Check out this post on our sister site PriorTax for more info:

  11. Rojeana says:

    I filed (e-file) on Jan. 21…I keep seeing and hearing differents dates. When is IRS accepting the e-file?

  12. Takeisha says:

    i was just wondering if i file my 2012 taxes on jan.30 will i get it back within 10 days

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Takeisha,

      You might get your refund in 10 days, but I would say that it’s not very likely for 2 reasons. 1) When the IRS starts processing returns on the 30th, it’s going to have a huge backlog of returns to go through. Not everyone who submitted their return in January will get processed right on the 30th. Most people will probably get processed a few days later. 2) The IRS estimates that you will get your refund in “under 21 days.” Generally it’s between 10 and 21 days, and sometimes even longer. So while 10 days is definitely a possibility, I would anticipate having to wait 2-3 weeks for your refund.

  13. Amber says:

    I am wondering how the education credits work? I filed with rapid tax recently, but have heard that the irs is not yet set up to process these forms. is this correct? I have also read that some of the education credits can be processed on jan 30 while others cannot, so how do i know which form was filed when i filed my taxes or how will I know if there will be a delay?

  14. Erika says:

    I am a single mother of three and my father carries my children on his insurance. Can I still claim my children on my tax return or does my father have to?

  15. terry says:

    I need to file my 2012 taxes will I have to pay

  16. Rita McElroy says:

    I didn’t file 2012 taxes, I should get some back, how much penalty will the IRS Charge me , since it’s so late.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Rita,

      The IRS will work with you. The penalty for filing late is normally 5 percent of the unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month that a tax return is late. That penalty starts accruing the day after the tax filing due date and will not exceed 25 percent of your unpaid taxes.

  17. joseph says:

    i was released from prison in 2012 and i havent filed my taxes because i didnt have a stable address to recieve my w-2s, now that i have a stable addres i need to file for 2012, 2013, and 2014. can you help me

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Joseph,

      We can definitely help you get those filed to the IRS, possibly even allowing you to claim your tax refund. To start, you can create an account with us at Rapidtax and begin entering your information. We offer free customer service support via livechat, phone and email just in case you need help along the way.

Leave a Reply