Can I Get a Refund from 2009 Taxes?

Can I Get a Refund from 2009 Taxes?

You can still get a refund from 2009, but only if you file your return before April 15, 2013

$917 million. That’s how much money in 2009 refunds is just sitting in the Treasury waiting to be claimed.

The IRS recently announced that there are an estimated 984,000 people who haven’t claimed their 2009 refunds. That’s an average refund of $932 per person! If that’s your money don’t let it go to waste.

You can still get your 2009 refund, but not for much longer. You must file your 2009 return by April 15, 2013 in order to receive it.

According to the statute of limitations, you have three years after a return’s original due date to file and still get a refund. After three years you can still file, but you won’t see any money. Your refund now belongs to the Treasury.

Unfortunately you can’t e-file prior year returns, but you can still prepare them online. RapidTax allows you to prepare any return online going back to 2005 just as you would your current year return. The only difference is that at the end of the process instead of e-filing you just have to print your return out, sign it, and mail it to the IRS. In order for your return to be considered on time, it must be postmarked by the 15th. If it isn’t, you can say goodbye to that refund.

Many of the people who haven’t claimed their 2009 refund aren’t legally required to file a return because their incomes are beneath the filing thresholds. For 2009 the thresholds were $9,350 for single filers and $18,700 for married filing jointly.

If your income for 2009 was below these levels, you don’t have to file, but you could get a big refund by doing so. You should especially consider filing a 2009 return if taxes were withheld from your wages – you could get much of that money back.

And remember that in addition to getting back money that was withheld from your paycheck, you may also be able to benefit from refundable credits that could increase your refund even more. For example, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for 2009 could be as much as $5,657.

As always you should be aware of the possibility that your return could be held by the IRS for a variety of reasons, especially if

  • you didn’t file for 2010 or 2011
  • you owe taxes to the IRS or a state tax authority
  • you owe child support
  • you haven’t paid your student loans

Don’t let your money go to waste. File your 2009 return on RapidTax now.

Photo via Ben Husmann on Flickr.

Tags: ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 at 11:38 am and is filed under Tax Deadlines, Tax News.

Leave a Reply