Can I File My 2009 Taxes Online in 2015?

Posted by on January 24, 2013
Last modified:
April 15, 2013 is the last chance to get a refund from your 2009 taxes

The last chance to claim a 2009 Tax Refund Was April 15, 2013, but you can still file 2009 Taxes with RapidTax.

Yes, you can still file your 2009 taxes. However,  the IRS has a statute of limitations that only allows you to get a refund for three years after the original due date of a return.

In other words, you can file your late 2009 tax return, but you won’t be able to claim your 2009 refund. The last day to file and get a 2009 refund was April 15, 2013. After this date, the government stopped issuing 2009 refunds, even though you’re technically still required to file a 2009 return.

If you weren’t expecting a 2009 refund and instead, have tax due, you’ll want to file your 2009 taxes as soon as possible.

IRS Statute Of Limitations

Unfortunately, though you only have three years to get a refund, the statute of limitations on the IRS collecting taxes due is ten years. So if you owe money, don’t think that you’ve successfully evaded the IRS. They still have 5 years to collect your tax due.

If you do owe the government money, you may have to pay a failure-to-file penalty, a failure-to-pay penalty, and interest. These penalties get larger for every day that your return is late, so it makes sense to file as soon as possible.

How To File 2009 Taxes Today

Many people who are late on their taxes automatically assume that they’ll be punished for it. However, if you were entitled to a refund, you won’t be facing penalties. After all, not being able to claim your refund is a punishment in itself. However, you should still file.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to e-file your 2009 return. E-file is only available between January and October for current year returns. This means that you’ll have to paper file your 2009 return.

You can still prepare your return online with RapidTax. To do so, create an account and enter your tax information. Then, we’ll do the hard work for you. After your return is prepared,  you’ll simply print it out, sign, and mail it to the IRS yourself.

If you have any questions along the way, the RapidTax team is available via phone, chat and email!

Photo via Jérôme on Flickr.

Tags: ,

This entry was posted on at 5:49 pm and is filed under Late Taxes | Blog.

111 Responses to “Can I File My 2009 Taxes Online in 2015?”

  1. Bradley Lott says:

    Need to file 2011 & 2012 tax return.

  2. shawna says:

    Will my 2009 return be affected if i file my 8863 education credit because of new taxs laws

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Shawna,

      Your 2009 return will be governed by the tax laws in effect for 2009, not by new tax laws that were established recently. So you should be able to claim the American Opportunity Credit for 2009.

  3. britt says:

    Can I file my 2011 w2 with my 2012

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Britt,

      No, you cannot include a 2011 W-2 on your 2012 return. If you didn’t file a return for 2011, then you need to file a separate 2011 return (which you can do right here on RapidTax). If you did file a 2011 return but just forgot to include this W-2 then you need to amend your 2011 return. Your 2012 return should only report the income you received in 2012.

  4. Alex says:

    I am a bit confused. I need to file my 2009 taxes. Good thing is they owe me money. Above it says that you can’t e file and to just fill out the form online print it and mail it in. So I pay the 34.99 or the 49.99 just to prepare it on this site print it and then mail it in?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Alex,

      Yes that’s correct. Unfortunately prior year returns can’t be e-filed. So basically everything will be the same as if you were filing a current year return normally, except at the very end instead of e-filing you’ll just print out your return, sign it, and mail it to the IRS.

  5. Gyve says:

    I already e-filed my 2012 taxes. BUt, i still have to file one for the 2009(1098-T). And since it has to be mailed, i am moving out in 15 days, should i add my New Address or will there be consequences for using the new address if you are still living in the old apt?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Gyve,

      I would probably use the new address, just to make sure you get any correspondence they need to send you. There shouldn’t be any negative consequences. Plus, writing your new address on your return will save you from having to separately change your address in writing.

  6. jose says:

    i filed my 2011-2012 taxes this year. i sent them via mail and when i checked the irs site it only gave me 2012 return do i have to wait till i get that money for my 2011 to populate in the system?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Jose,

      As far as I’m aware, the IRS’s Where’s My Refund system only works for current year returns, so you won’t be able to see the progress of your 2011 refund.

  7. Emily says:

    My boyfriend received a letter advising he did not file taxes for 2009-2011 and he of course has penalties. He is currently working on getting all the w2s he needs but should he still file or just pay the penalites?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Emily,

      He definitely needs to file. He’s receiving the penalties because he didn’t file. If he doesn’t file now, he’s just going to continue accruing penalties.

  8. Lawrence Cecil says:

    Just a FYI for everyone, I filed my 2009 tax return April 13, 2013 and am expected to receive a Federal refund of $541. Previous 4 years of returns filed include 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 return – all filed together on April 13, 20013. The IRS web sites provide no links which allow for searching the status of past retuns and as of today, I still have not received any notification as to the status of my return. Has anyone ever expereinced that same problems with the IRS? The IRS is so quick to come after us for the slightest problem, but ignors situations like mine.

  9. Lynda says:

    I filed amended tax returns for 2009, 2010 and 2011 all three years I was due a refund from. I sent all the returns out at the same time and to the same address ( 3 seperate envelopes). I received refund checks from the IRS for 2010 and s 2011 returns, but the IRS is saying they NEVER RECEIVED MY 2009 AMENDED RETURN. I was also told that the statute of limitations has ran out. There is no way I can prove that the amended return was filed well before the April deadline. I find this very fishy on the IRS part. How many other taxpayers has the IRS conveniently lost their 2009 returns that show a refund due?!

    • Anne says:

      Same thing! I sent 2010, 2011, & 2012 all in one day and the didn’t receive one of them even though certified mail says they did. Ughhhh so annoying and troublesome with one’s bills pending. I will follow up and see if it magically showed up at IRS.

  10. Wwndy says:

    I did the same thing., I bought half a house in 2009 and was told I could not get a homebuyer credit by a tax preparer. Then I was told I could and filed on April 15, 2013 and sent it by registered mail. I know they got in on April 18, 2013 but have heard nothing. I can find nothing on the WHER’s MY REFUND site. It has been over 90 days, shouldn’t they have at least told me if I would not be getting the tax refund/

  11. KAY-A says:



  13. KASIE says:


  14. Leslie says:

    Ok to all of you that have filed for 2009 refund. If you indeed had it post marked by April 15, 2013. You can file a grievance thru custom service. 800-829-1040 hit 1 then 00000000 and the operator will come on… Tell them you need someone to help u with a 2009 refund that the automatic system will not allow u to get into it. Once u get customer service ask them if your return is in the Statue of Limitation department for review. If they say it is or not tell them you want to file a referral to find out why it hasn’t been refunded. After 12weeks from April 15, 2013 which would be July 15, 2013 by law they have to start researching and assign it to a person. Of course they won’t give you the persons name. U can also write to IRS, Kansas City, Mo. 64999. This is the statue of limitations department and request a copy of ur envelope they scanned in for the post marked to be April 15 ,2013 or before that date. That is what they are hoping you screwed up so they don’t pay you. The money will sit there unless you do the referral. Then 30 days from the referral if you still have no response then you can call the IRS Advocate line @ 877-777-4778. For hardship. They will then file another referral on ur behalf and the IRS has 7 days to respond to that. The IRS basically wants to trip you up and you need to request copies of everything they have of urs for 2009. U can also request copies from the service center where you sent your taxes. They are very sneaky and it took me hours upon hours to get all the information. Basically tying up two cell phones and home phone calling them everyday blowing the phones up getting different people to spill the beans on how everything works. So sad. No this is not online or on the IRS website. So certify mail them and call them everyday and make sure they have ur referral and see if any notes have been made. We moved and I thought we owed taxes for 2009 that’s why I do not get money back for that year. In the process of having my 2012 done with a new acct. in a new state he ask for aig # and copies of prior returns and discovered substantial amount of money that is owed to us. Very sad. Our taxes r so simple and we got our 2013 back February 2013. This is crazy u have to go thru all this bullshit cause they are trying to steal ur money….

  15. Leslie says:

    Oops 2012 back February 2013.

  16. Sharon Brown says:

    I have return that need to be sent in from 2009-2010 I do a refund but didn’t have the money at the time to pay for it if i will mail them in now will I get my refund thatw do.

  17. priscilla says:

    So even if you filed online before the deadline, but didn’t get it in the mail before that date…there is no way to get your refund?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Priscilla,

      You can’t file prior year returns online, you have to mail them in. And yes, if they are not postmarked by the deadline they will not be considered filed on time.

  18. priscilla says:

    And I mean for 2009

  19. Liz Butanda says:

    Can I still file my 2011 and 2012 now?

  20. chris says:

    I had a tax offset from Department of education,for the past 2 years.It was barely lifted .I have not filed 2011 or 2012.I was wondering if i should file 2012 first then 2011. Also in the process i found out ny nom claimed my 2 children for 2011.I know Um due a refund both years,but my question is if i send in 2011 with my children will i be audited..& slow down 2012..I have been waitung to file to catch up on bils & now I find out about my mom.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Chris,

      Generally it’s best to file your taxes in order, as you sometimes need information from 2011 to prepare 2012, for example. If you file a 2011 return and claim to children that have been claimed by someone else, yes it will slow down your refund. You will not be audited, necessarily, but the IRS will have to review the case and that could take some extra time. However it will not slow down your refund for 2012. The two years are not connected, the refunds are not connected, and something that slows down one should not slow down the other.

  21. Michele says:

    I found out my husband soon to be ex did not file 2009 taxes when I did not get a job working the state’s revenue dept. My husband always file the taxes and not for sure why he did not. We were living in one state and left at the end of December 2009. Start living in another state January 2010. We received 2009 D-400V form Payment Voucher Substitute for a return from the current state we live in now. Can the current state we live in request taxes that heyr are not even owed? We were not even living in this state 2009. With that said, we got all the W2 and tax information together and sent it in 09/2013 to IRS? Do the state and government communicate? Do they know we submitted our tax return? Should I current state tax revenue to tell we file and they are not owe any money? Please help not sure what to do

    • Tax Advisor says:


      The state and government can communicate. I would suggest contacting the state directly. If you do not owe any taxes, there shouldn’t be a problem. Also, I would suggest filing any years that are not filed sooner rather than later.

  22. shanna says:

    What if I already filed last year but want to. Use the same. W2s can I do that. Even’s from 2011 can I file them again?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Shanna,
      You will need to use the correct W-2 that corresponds with the year you are filing for. Your income may have changed or you may have had more or less taxes taken out, meaning your tax information would not be correct for the year you are filing.

      If you need help getting your W-2 for the correct year, I would suggest contacting your employer. If this isn’t possible you can get it through the IRS.

  23. chris says:

    @ Tax advisor Thank you for your response! My offset was removed so I actually mailed in both my 2011 & 2012 returns on Oct 30th in Texas! I waited 3 weeks & was able to check WMR ,but only my 2011 return was actually showing as processing with the 21 day standard time,2012 was saying no information found. So I called & spoke to an IRS rep that said they received both returns on Nov 20th,& that I had to wait 8 weeks before calling back.Me being impatient I started to worry with all the horror stories of people waiting since Feb for there refunds, so I contacted them again 11/29 and was told that my 2011 has been processed but my refund was on hold.I asked for what reason but was told,that they didnt know the reason could be because of the amount,but that I would recieve a letter & I would have to wait till the end of january.also ,that my 2012 returns have not been entered or processed. Well I checked wmr tonight 12/09 & 2011 was giving me the error message “no information found for that social security”same thing that 2012 was originally giving me. I went into a panic As this was the only return that kept me informed some what! So I thought for sure something was wrong. It then dawned on me that maybe it was because they have inputted my 2012 return into the system & now maybe that one at the very least is in processing. So I entered in that amount Low & Behold not only was it processed but it had a DD date for 12/11!!! I just checked on Friday 12/6 & there was no information found for 2012. So in reality my 2012 return processed and my refund approved in 2 days!! How is this possible? Although Im thankful that I received one, I have no way of knowing about my 2011! How could they approve the bigger refund of the 2 & not the other? I even sent them there wage info for 2011 that they sent me ,so 2011 should have been clear cut!

  24. Dustin says:

    In 2011 or 2012 I cannot remember which I worked at a job for a very short time. Just a few days. I never got a check from them so I cannot remember if I got a w2 from them. How can I find out if all of my taxes were done right in 2011 or 2012? Its really making me nervous I dont want to get into trouble for a mistake I didn’t even know I made.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Dustin,
      If you never got a check from them (if you were never paid), then you won’t have to worry. You can always request a copy of your 2011 or 2012 taxes you filed, from the IRS.

      • Dustin says:

        Ok thank you for your response. Is there a way to check if my taxes from past years were done correctly?

        • Dustin says:

          I have not got any letters or anything so I assume all of my taxes were done correctly but I was just curious if there is a way to check to make sure all of my taxes were done correctly

  25. Mark says:

    I got a letter from the IRS. Saying that I owe $940 because I forgot a w-2 last year. It says I must pay before Feb.5th. Does anybody know if they will just take it out of my refund this year if I can not pay it by then and how much longer will that take?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Yes, if you didn’t pay your taxes last year, they will probably hold on to your refund until your pay your taxes due from last year. Did you file your taxes last year? If you still need to file and then pay, I suggest doing so right away so any money you owe doesn’t increase. To do so, simply go to our create an account page and select the tax year (in your case, “Prior Year 2012”). You can prepare your return, print and send it to the IRS, in the mail.
      Once your prior year is processed, and your tax due is paid, you can file your current year and will receive your refund. You can still file your current year taxes before your prior year is paid, you just probably won’t receive your current year refund.

  26. natlie says:

    What if i did not file in 2013. Can i still file this year and will they keep my return

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Natlie,
      If you have taxes due for last year, your current tax season refund could be held onto until you file and pay the tax due for last year’s taxes.
      I suggest filing last year’s taxes as soon as you can. If you do have tax due, it increases as time passes. Regardless, to file last year’s taxes, go to the “create an account” page on our website and from the drop down “tax year” menu, pick “prior year 2012”. You can create a USER ID and get started on last year’s return right away. Once you submit, your return will be reviewed and available for download. Then, you will send it into the IRS (with any tax due).

      After, you can create an account for the current year and file your current year taxes and receive your refund.

  27. Hi Brandi says:

    I already file my taxes for 2013 but I forgot one w2 what should I do???

    • Tax Advisor says:

      It depends on how filed. Did you file on RapidTax? If you filed online, you can make a change to your tax return and should contact the company you filed with. If you mailed in your return you will have to file form 1040x, which is an amended return, reporting the W2 information you forgot.

  28. Lynzee says:

    I have not filed my 2011 or 2012 taxes….I have an estimate of a return i would receive, It’s nothing big but I don’t owe in,,,,,however I am waiting on a w2 form from 2012 still so I have to wait to file til I get that….. also can not afford to pay H & R block to file those two previous years right now, My question is can i E file my 2013 taxes now, so that I can pay for my two previous years to be filed or will it be rejected?

  29. Nate says:

    Hi, Very similar question as the one above. I’m trying to help a good friend of mine file his taxes for 2013. He was incarcerated in 2008 and never filed his taxes for that year and in that time lost his W-2 for 2008.

    I’m assuming he needs to file his 2008 taxes somehow otherwise his 2013 return will be rejected?

    Thanks in advance!

  30. mikki says:

    I didn’t file my 2012 tax return yet. I know it has to be mailed in, can I still file my 2013 taxes before they get the 2012 taxes? Or will they deny my 2013 tax return until they are done processing my 2012 return ? Thank you.

  31. Virginia says:

    Hi I have a question I flied my taxes got my refund.but I didnt qualify for the income credited for my kids,I have three 7year-old,6years old,&4 months I just got a 1099 form I didnt know I was getting can I still claim name is Virginia.

  32. Michelle says:

    I was 2 years behind on my taxes sent in my 2011 tax return in December did not owe anything was getting a refund but would like to know how long back taxes take. Have received 2013 refund and didnt file that one untill Janurary

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Michelle,
      Prior year tax returns definitely take longer than current year returns. Usually anywhere between 4-8 weeks. I would call the IRS to check the status of your 2011 return.

  33. angela says:

    hi my husband didn’t file 2009 taxes the irs has held on to our 2011 an 2013 taxes until we file 2009 taxes we filed 2009 taxes on the feb 27 how long will it take to find out if they are keeping all the money or how much penalties we owe

  34. hani says:

    hello. I am a US citizen living and working abroad since 2011 and didn’t know that I had to file taxes for 2011, 2012 and current tax year 2013 . I make around 7900 dollars a year. can I file my taxes now and will there be any penalities?? .can I file them electronically because it will be difficult to send them by mail. plus I don’t have a current address in US now to receive my mail.. please help because I want to be up to date with everything . thanks

  35. Deborah says:

    Block did my 2012 tax return with refund. I have always had a refund. Then they calculated my 2013 taxes. I retired and didn’t realize the tax consequences of a lump payment. I am devastated to learn that I will have to pay 8500 taxes and penalties and late filing fees. #1. Any way to eliminate penalties and late fees? #2. Can I file the 2013 electronically now without having the 2012 electronically. From what I understand on the electronic return I need to input 2012 AGI. Will it get kicked back because the 2012 isn’t in the system yet? Thank you for your service!

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Deborah,

      You can file your 2013 return since every year is separate. Just be sure to check that there aren’t any factors from prior years that could possibly affect your 2013 return. As far as eliminating any penalties, you may want to contact the IRS about possibly filing Form 843.

  36. Oscar says:

    Can I file my taxes from 2010 till now at one time

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Oscar,

      Yes, you can file your prior year taxes at the same time. Keep in mind that you are only eligible to claim your refund up to three tax years after that specific tax year deadline. In other words, you should file your 2010-2013 returns. However, if you were eligible for a refund from all four years, you will only be able to claim the 2011-2013 refunds.

  37. Linda says:

    I filed a 2009 tax form and they didn’t give me all the money due me because I transposed 2 numbers on my daughters ss#. I forgot about it until Feb 2014; I sent in the corrected SS# and they sent me a Refund due $2101.00. Based on my Total Exemption Amount and Earned Income Credit. It stated I was the result of your inquiry of February 7, 2014. However, when I just called, they said I am not getting the refund because it’s been over 3 years and they were sorry they didn’t put it on the form. Do I have any recourse?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Linda,

      Sorry to hear about this situation.

      According to the IRS, you cannot claim a refund after three years from that years tax deadline. I’m not sure who you spoke with at the IRS, however I would try contacting your local taxpayer advocate. Hopefully they will be able to tell you if there is anything you are able to do in this situation since it seems like a mis-communication between you and the IRS.

  38. Carol says:

    I forgot to submit my 2009 state taxes. I got a letter. What do i do know?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Carol,

      The good news is that you are still able to file your 2009 return (In fact, you are required to do so). Unfortunately, if you were eligible for a refund, you can no longer claim it. The IRS has a statute of limitations that only allows you to get a refund for three years after the original due date of a return.

      • Carol says:

        I filed the 2009 taxes but i think i forgot to processed it and don’t remember if i mailed it in. I have a copy and i owe money. I looked everywhere and cannot find proof of payment. Im afraid of the penalties. What should i do if i cannot pay the full amount i owe.

  39. Carol says:

    Doesnthe irs give you a payment plan if you cannot pay

  40. Ashley says:

    My x filed the past 5 years in taxes and because he owes back child support they stated i would get any refund. i understand he can only get a refund for 3 years but when he gets the refund would it be one check for all 3 years or would it be multiple deposits for the back taxes? he told me he was getting a refund for all of the years.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Ashley,

      When filing taxes for prior years, you will receive separate checks for each tax year filed. Therefore, in your case, you should receive three refund checks after filing (assuming you are owed a refund for those three years).

  41. Ali says:

    I need to file for 2011, 2012 and 2013. however, i’m living overseas and i’m not making much money.

    can i use your softwar to do all the filing?

    how many forms should i fill for each year? is Form 2555 one of them ?

  42. Jessica says:

    So my ex filed his tax return on april 15th for 2012 and filed 2013 as well. He owes me money but when I got money I only got the return from 2013 and he gets back money still for 2012 I was wondering when I can expect that money. He owes it to me because of child support

  43. Felica says:

    I filed my taxes for 2009 in 2010. I e filed my federal afterwards amended my state and federal. I am from NC. I was told to send my amended forms to the state of GA. I did not send my state taxes to NC it all went to GA. When I didn’t receive my refund for my state taxes I called the NCDR and they informed me that they had sent me the check, so I never pursued trying to retrieve another check. Now, it’s 2014 and I received a notice that I did not file any state taxes on 2009 and that I owed them. The problems is now my copies of my W-2’s was destroyed in a fire. I two jobs, one jobs said that they couldn’t go back that far to retrieve my form, the other one no longer exist. I tried contacted the IRS to retrieve a duplicate copy of the forms that was sent to the IRS. I having no luck with that because they say that they could go back that far. How can I get a duplicate copy of my taxes so that I can file again so that get suck paying for these Taxes, penalty/fee/interest and interest?

  44. Jkg says:

    Hi! I didn’t filled taxes for the past 5 years, but i did paid them in W2’s each time i got paid… in 2013 i was unemployed, do I still have to fill for 2013? Can I only fill the taxes for 2012 and 2011 instead of filling for 2012 2011 2010 and 2009?

    Do the IRS has anyway to find my W2’S since i lost it? thanks a lot. waiting for you answer 🙂

  45. Jkg says:

    also, will i have penalties? or owe any money?

  46. Greg says:

    I didn’t file my 2009 taxes because I was lazy (no other excuse). I received several notices from the IRS to file, so I did. I mailed my return in August 2013 and I was supposed to get a refund of $3,000.00. The IRS sent me check for $3,000.00 in November 2013. In September 2014 I received a letter from the IRS stating that I have to give them the money back because they made a mistake and gave me a refund after the 3 year filing deadline. I am wondering if I can get out of paying the money back or am I out of luck?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Greg,

      They clearly are the ones who made the mistake. However, keep in mind that when you file your taxes in the future, your refund may be withheld by the IRS since they have informed you that you now owe them the $3,000.00.

  47. Jessica says:

    I dont remember if.I filled 2012-2013 w2s os there any way to check ? Also if I havent done th.can.I do they are w2 for.unemployment so im.not sure what help.I dont want any penalties or.dont want to get in trouble thank yoi

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Jessica,

      You can definitely file your prior year tax returns on Just create an account to get started. If you do not remember if you filed already, I suggest contacting the IRS. You will be transferred to a representative who can assist you and let you know which years you have not yet filed for. If you are being proactive about filing, you will be much less likely to incur any penalties.

  48. Teeya says:

    Hi I’m Teeya and I found my 2009 & 2010 w2’s in a bundle of mail my mom forgot to give me and I wanted to kno can I still file them? I’m not sure what to do at this.. It feels way, way to late…

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Teeya,

      Yes, you can still file your 2009 and 2010 tax returns. The IRS has up to 10 years to claim any tax you owe, so it’s a good idea to get caught up.

      You won’t have to search around for the 2009 and 2010 tax forms. Instead, you can prepare your late tax returns online with RapidTax. To do so, create an account by selecting 2009 from the “Tax Year” drop down menu. Enter your 2009 tax information, pay and submit.

      Then, you can prepare your 2010 tax return with your same RapidTax USER ID by selecting 2010 from the “Tax Year” drop down menu on the Sign In page. Once you’ve submitted your information, our team will review and prepare the return for you. You will then print, sign and mail your tax return to the IRS.

      If you need any help, feel free to reach out to the RapidTax team by phone, email or chat support. We’re here to help!

      Best of luck getting caught up!

  49. Teeya says:

    That sounds great but im also afraid of penalties and fees and after 10 years will they give me bk my return or will the IRS keep it.. ??

  50. Chery says:

    Hi, I am in the process of resolving my 2010 taxes. I received an audit letter in the mail. I think it is very unfair that I cannot amend my 2010 taxes at this time. I have the necessary documents and receipts to correct the mistakes that were adjusted by the audit. I also think it is unfair to assess interest when resolving this matter by mail. What do I do next? Thank You.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Chery,

      I can definitely see why you are frustrated. Unfortunately, the rules placed by the IRS are pretty much set in stone. According to their rule, you have three years to amend a return from the original submit date or two years from the date you paid your tax; whichever is later. What I suggest doing moving forward is now looking into your other returns from 2012-current to make sure that this doesn’t happen again.

  51. S. Johnson says:

    We got penalized over $4000 for not filling 2009 tax returns. I now have the w2s to file for that year. Even though they won’t give us the tax refund that would’ve been due us, will they reimburse any of the penalty?? It seemed excessive!

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi S.Johnson,

      Unfortunately, the IRS can be unforgiving when it comes to penalty fees. As stated by the IRS directly, “The IRS may abate penalties for filing and paying late if you have reasonable cause and the failure was not due to willful neglect.”

      In other words, you will most likely need to pay a majority of the penalty and interest fees but you may have a chance to explain your situation and have the bill reduced. I suggest contacting the IRS as soon as possible to get a start on sorting this out.

  52. olivia reyes says:

    Lost my job in 2010 was on unemployment and had a baby by the time 2011 tax season came never filed and was told i owe the irs havent been employed since and also had another child since what do i do and what can i do to find out if i can file or am i penalized help anyone please

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Olivia,

      The IRS does consider unemployment income to be taxable income. That means that this income must be reported on a tax return for each year that you received it (if it meets the amount requirement to file a return at all). It is possible that you are not earning enough unemployment in order to be required to file a tax return. You will only be penalized if you owe the IRS taxes. If you were to collect a refund for those years, then you will not be faced with any penalty fees (and you may be able to still collect those refund amounts). You can create an account for free on our website, enter your information for each year and then see what you are expected to pay to the IRS or how much your refund will be.

  53. Amanda says:

    My boyfriend has not filed his taxes for the past 4 years. And has none of the w2 for either year. How does he go about it.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Amanda,

      He will get the quickest results (not to mention it being the simplest for him) if he can contact his employer(s) from the years in question. They will still have access to his W-2 information. If not, then he can request this information from the Social Security Administration for a fee or you can request a copy from the IRS.

  54. Amy hendrickson says:

    My husband received a tax amnesty letter, but we have never gotten any notices from the IRS. If we did owe or didn’t file one year would the IRS seen us a notice? I was wanting to know if this would affect our current years refund.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Amy,

      Unfortunately, the IRS does not notify everyone who does not file a tax return for the year. That is more of the taxpayer’s responsibility. However, the IRS can conduct an audit to collect the tax you owe. At that point, the IRS would notify you via mail. You can also request free transcripts from the IRS dating back to 2012 HERE. If you are still weary, just give the contact on the amnesty letter a call. They may be able to give you more information.

  55. Tiff says:

    Hi. I added 2014 w2s to my 2015 return not knowing it wasn’t allowed. Will the return beeee rejected or do they have to catch it? How does that work and what should I do?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Tiff,

      To avoid complications, you should amend your 2015 tax return and remove the W2 information from your 2014 W2s. Then you should resubmit your return for IRS filing. Once you have done this, you should amend your 2014 tax return and refile it with 2014 W2 information.

  56. Ruben says:

    If I filed my 2014 W 2’s Then i received my 2014 1099 but did not claim them that year could i claim my 2014 1099 this year in 2015 and will I be penalized for this?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Ruben,

      You’ll need to report your 1099 income with the corresponding year’s tax return. In order to do this after already filing for that year, you can amend your 2014 tax return. You can do this right on It’s easier if you initially filed your tax return with us. You’ll be able to initiate your amended tax return right from the status page on your account. If you filed your original return elsewhere, you can still prepare an amended return with us. If you’re having trouble or have any questions throughout the process, give our tax team a call at 877-289-7580 or take advantage of our live-chat support HERE.

  57. Carol says:

    Hello, I filed older taxes this year for 2009/2010 which resulted in a balance due to the IRS. The amount was withheld and paid out of my 2013/2014 refunds this year as well.
    I left out significant credits which reduced the amounts due for 2009/2010 and have just sent in 1040X’s for both years.
    Keeping in mind that there were no refunds for those years,
    Do you know if the IRS will accept the amended returns and make the adjustments since the tax was actually paid this year?

    • Hi Carol.

      According to the IRS, “you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later“.

      You should have no problem with the IRS amending your return since you filed it initially this year.

  58. Chris says:

    I just filed my 2012 return this year I was due a refund is there any hope I will get that refund?

    • Unfortunately, your statute of limitations for claiming a refund has expired. You were required to file your return within 3 years of the return due date. However, it is in your best interest to still file your 2012 return in order to avoid the IRS from filing a substitute return for you. This return might not give you credit for deductions and exemptions you may be entitled to receive and you could end up owing the IRS. You can visit to get started on your 2012 return.

  59. Vicky says:

    I filed my 2011 taxes with someone that I regret filing them with in 2013 b/c it’s been haunting me ever since. Since I had done a couple other past taxes all at once and I owed student loans and had an off set, I assumed they had took my refund, along with 2 other years of tax refunds, to pay it off, so I did not anticipate getting a refund from that year anyway. Now that I’ve filed my 2016 taxes, the IRS held my refund b/c they are claiming I never filed my 2011 tax return. When I called they said if I did file it to fax it to their department for this issue and cross out my old address, add the new one and sign it. I did that, called back 2 weeks later to get the status and they told me I would be getting my 2016 refund in a few weeks but would not get my refund for 2011. I said well why, it’s not like I didn’t do it, you all said you saw it was submitted but for some reason was not processed and you don’t know why. How is that my fault? This guys says, I don’t have the WHYS, you have to wait for a letter telling you why. I just don’t think this is fair. I thought it went to my student loans. There has to be a law to help me with this.

Leave a Reply