7 Filing Tips to Get Your Tax Refund ASAP

Posted by on March 9, 2016
Last modified:
7 Filing Tips to Get Your Tax Refund ASAP

Waiting for your tax refund can really test your patience.

Unfortunately, we can’t speed up the actual processing time of your tax return once the IRS gets hold of it. However, there are actions we can take to ensure a smoother journey through the IRS database. Let’s take a look at seven steps you can take when filing your tax return this year.

E-File your tax return.

Oh, how far technology has come. You can e-file your tax return worry-free until the April deadline. After that date, you can still e-file until the October deadline. However, if you can’t get it filed before mid-April and you’re not sure if you’re getting a refund, you’ll want to file an extension. Either way, the IRS processing time is quickest with e-filing. Compared to mailing in your return, you could be speeding up your refund by almost a month!

Choose direct deposit to receive your refund.

Many businesses offer a direct deposit option to their employees, so it only makes sense that the IRS would offer the same. After all, it’s your money. This is preferred by many taxpayers, based on convenience. On top of that, waiting on direct deposit will eat up less of your time than waiting on a check in the mail.

Make sure you’re the only one claiming your dependent(s).

This can be easier said than done in some cases. However, if you know someone who could also claim your dependent on their tax return, do your best to verify that they won’t be. Why? A person can only be claimed once per year. If a dependent is claimed by more than one person, then the second tax return to claim them will be rejected by the IRS. If the second person to claim the same dependent appeals to the IRS, the IRS may pull the first return for review, to make sure that taxpayer was allowed to claim the dependent. In either case, this will ultimately delay your tax refund.

On rare occasions, a dependent is fraudulently claimed on an unknown person’s tax return. If your dependent was claimed on another taxpayer’s return and your return was rejected because of this, find out the steps you need to take to resolve this in our other article.

Double check your mailing address.

There are a few reasons why this is an important piece of information to report correctly. First of all, the IRS will typically contact you via mail for required updates on your tax return. You want to make sure that the address you provide is correct to avoid complications.

Secondly, if you choose direct deposit but do not provide the correct bank account information, then the IRS will default to mailing your refund as a check instead to the address listed on your tax return.  

Lastly, if you choose to receive your tax refund as a check, then you can expect it to be mailed to  (you guessed it) the address on your tax return. If it’s incorrect and undeliverable, the IRS won’t typically go out of their way to reach out to you. In the event of such a delay, you’ll need to contact the IRS again to make sure you receive your refund at the right address.

Triple check all ID numbers.

The IRS has a file on each and every taxpayer who has filed a tax return or has been claimed as a dependent on a tax return. Along with your name, birthday and income amount, they also know your social security number. Of course, it’s important that ALL information on your tax return is correct. However, it’s pretty easy to miss a digit in a social security number. Just be sure it’s correct, or else your return will be rejected.

Wait for all income documents before you file.

It may seem you’re doing yourself a favor by filing as soon as possible. However, you might end up with your foot in your mouth if you receive an additional income statement in the mail after filing. This is not anything to panic about. You can just amend your return, update it with the additional information and re-file it with the IRS. Easy, right? Right.

Just don’t expect an ETA on your refund anytime soon. Amended returns need to be mailed in, and are subject to all the same delays as a return that was originally filed by mail. So it’s better to wait until you’re sure you’ve got all your income statements before filing, to avoid a longer wait afterwards.

Prepare your tax return online.

You can literally do anything online now. Find a date for your cousin’s wedding…by tomorrow night. Recruit a last minute babysitter. Even prepare your tax return! All you have to do is create an account on RapidTax and enter your tax information. Once you get the thumbs up from our tax team, you can wait patiently (by your mailbox if you’d prefer) for your refund!

And the most important step to take…

The sooner you get started, the sooner you’ll get your refund. If you have all of your tax records and documents on hand, then you are the only one holding yourself back. Create an account now and follow our steps.  Before you know it, you’ll have your 2015 tax refund!

RapidTax Blog Footer 2

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on at 4:18 pm and is filed under Tax Refunds | Blog.

8 Responses to “7 Filing Tips to Get Your Tax Refund ASAP”

  1. Rahnisha says:

    Does a rejected tax return state exact issue ? If social security number is incorrect would briefly say that ?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Rahnisha,

      If your federal tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will receive an error code. For an incorrect social security number (for the primary taxpayer on the return), you would receive error code R0000-500. This could mean that either the primary SSN or the primary last name does not match what is on file with the IRS.

  2. Lisa says:

    I’m single no dependents and filled my taxes already when will they get sent out

  3. Karen says:

    I filed my return on January 27,2017& I had the orange bars now it just says that my refund is still being processed and that a refund date will post when it is available. What does this all mean? I know that refunds were delayed however, I want to understand why this process is taking so long.

    • Once your return was e-filed and accepted by the IRS you must allow up to 21 days for the IRS to process your return. Please
      keep in mind that if you claimed the EITC or ACTC the IRS will release those refunds no earlier than February 27th.

  4. Nichole says:

    Hi, my fiance claimed our daughter and my son on his taxes 2017, do you think it will be an issue for his refund?

    • The children may qualify as dependents, but because they are not related to your fiance, the children cannot be his qualifying dependents for the child tax credit, earned income credit or Head of Household filing status.

Leave a Reply